PEGBOARDS FOREVERPegboards have been used in garages and workshops for decades, and they're still one of the best ways to organize tools and other small hangable items. You can purchase pegboards in many different sizes, colors, thicknesses, and materials, making it easy to find the perfect solution for your garage.
Knife magnets from a big box store are another way to wrangle tools and are also a great trick for allowing paint brushes to dry.
Ceilings and walls are a garage organizer's best friend. Leaning bicycles against the walls just won't cut it if an organized garage is your goal. Clear up floor space by hanging bicycles and other bulky sports equipment from ceilings and walls.
For things you don't need to access regularly (like holiday decorations), go way up. Hang storage bins over the garage doors to get them off the floor and well out of the way.
CABINET & CLOSET STORAGE
While cabinets and freestanding closets take up some floor space, they are excellent for getting organized if your garage is large enough. Consider repurposing used kitchen cabinets, or combine old dressers and tabletops to create a budget "workbench."
- Transition Zone: Stuff you grab before leaving the house, like shoes, jackets, bags, dog leashes go in a spot that's right by the door
- Need It Now: Everyday items like dog food, cleaning supplies, and recyclables can go on shelves placed close to the entrance to the house.
- Long, Tall, Thin Storage: Anything that's long, tall, or thin like rakes, shovels, and ladders should be hung on the walls
- Large Item Storage: Large, rarely used items like holiday decorations and camping gear should be placed in an area that's up high and out of the way.
- Frequently Used Items: Place outdoor gear and sports equipment near the garage door for easy access
- Workspace: This is a place to create a center for your favorite hobby.
While dealing with a cluttered garage can seem overwhelming, having a good plan with the right storage solutions will put you on the path to having a clean and functional area – with room to park your car!